Sunday 28 June 2015

Polio Virus + My story.



Personal Note:

Most Polio victims are like liabilities to their family, friends and outsiders. They basically can't do anything themselves, they are mostly discriminate by the society. They are face with challenges each and everyday.

It would surprise you to know that, I who wrote this article, is a polio victim. yeah is true.

My names are Bello Bidemi Valentine, I'm a Nigerian, I was Born April 29th 1994, Guess that day was the happiest day for my family, but their happiness was short lived 9 months later when i was diagnosed with Polio. At a very tender age I was battling for my wellbeing. The virus had spread all over my body, I was like the leaving dead. My parents did everything they could to stop me from dying. 

Like the saying goes, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". I survived the death threat thanks to GOD ALMIGHTY. About 75% of my whole body was paralyzed. I was so lucky it didn't affect my Brain, because I won't be able to share my story right now. OKAY, enough of me.

I am sharing this story, not because I want to be popular or looking for sympathy from the world, rather I'm doing this to make especially those who are affected with one diseases or the other, those who have given up on life itself and those who think that the situation they are now, is the end of the world. I just want you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, it might not be bright now, but it will at the end.

Never give up on yourself, it is who your are, that makes you unique and different from the entire population of the world. You are the best of your kind. I always tell myself that, I'm the first and last of my kind, I don't have a prototype, it's just me myself and I. Be self multivated, Never look down on yourself. By the grace of God I'm a student and also a programmer.

I am also doing this because, I want people to know about this dangerous Poliovirus, the awareness wasn't there as at the time I was infected, social media wasn't that popular then. But thank God it is now.

I hope after reading this, you would share to your friends and family, and we can help eradicate polio from our society once and for all.

Don't also forget to drop your comment after you are done reading, God bless you. Happy Reading.

What is Polio

Polio (which is short for poliomyelitis) is an infectious disease that can cause permanent muscle weakness, paralysis, and in severe cases, can be life-threatening. It is caused by a virus known as the poliovirus, which is very contagious and is spread by swallowing contaminated food or water, or by direct contact with an infected person.

Due to widespread vaccination, polio has been eradicated from Australia and many other parts of the world. However, there are some countries, including Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan, where polio infections still occur.

Who is at risk?

Polio can strike at any age, but it mainly affects children under five years old.

Transmission

Polio is spread through person-to-person contact. When a child is infected with wild poliovirus, the virus enters the body through the mouth and multiplies in the intestine. It is then shed into the environment through the faeces where it can spread rapidly through a community, especially in situations of poor hygiene and sanitation. If a sufficient number of children are fully immunized against polio, the virus is unable to find susceptible children to infect, and dies out.

Young children who are not yet toilet-trained are a ready source of transmission, regardless of their environment. Polio can be spread when food or drink is contaminated by faeces. There is also evidence that flies can passively transfer poliovirus from faeces to food.

Most people infected with the poliovirus have no signs of illness and are never aware they have been infected. These symptomless people carry the virus in their intestines and can “silently” spread the infection to thousands of others before the first case of polio paralysis emerges.

Signs and symptoms

The majority of people (up to 95 per cent) who are infected with poliovirus do not experience any symptoms at all, and do not even know they have been infected. 5% of infected people may experience flu-like symptoms such as:
  1. fever
  2. fatigue
  3. nausea
  4. vomiting
  5. headache
  6. occasionally neck and back stiffness – referred to as non-paralytic aseptic meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord).

Prevention

Polio can be prevented through immunization. Polio vaccine, given multiple times, almost always protects a child for life.
  • vaccination provides protection from poliovirus infection
  • there are two types of polio vaccines
    • oral poliomyelitis vaccine (OPV) 
    • inactivated poliomyelitis vaccine (IPV). All the polio vaccines recommended for use in Australia are IPV
  • the first dose of polio vaccine, in combination with other vaccines, is now recommended to be given at 6 weeks of age. Adults should have received a minimum of 3 doses of vaccine previously.
  • booster vaccinations are recommended for travellers to countries where polio occurs, health care workers and laboratory workers handling specimens containing live poliovirus.
To know more about this Deadly virus, please consult your doctor.








4 comments:

  1. Really wanna 10k val for the exposé. It's brought to light everything I knew n never knew abt Polio. Thnks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courageous n positive.. U inspire certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can read over and over again and it would still the same deep effect on me just like first time. I couldn't believe it at first that the ever hilarious guy had a polio attack that affects his body but as I come to realize its true, I cant but marvel at the depth of your strength and courage. It taught me that nomatter how big the hurdles one faces in life, when there is will, there is hope that eventually everything would be fine. I'm glad to have had opportunity of meeting you and in a way being a part of this story because you're so generous to share it. It really shows just how great you are Val, infact you're amazing. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for shedding light on this. i want to encourage you not to stop, keep sharing there are several people who are still in the dark about Polio. God bless you for this Val.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't forget to drop your comment